ANATHEMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Reading a new book

Go down 
+6
Berkana
wyldhoney
tapsi
Lady of Shallot
vision
Indii
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Indii
Captain
Indii

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 11:02 am

About a book you are reading at the moment. What is it about and your opinion on it?
Back to top Go down
http://anathema.superforum.pro
vision

vision

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 7:17 pm

today i went to the library in Maastricht. Paul joined me and then of course it took more time to search and find books. Because he came up with some suggestions and it's always nice to search for books. i found:

William Boyd: Ordinary Thunderstorms
Ted Dekker : The books of Mortals
Trudi Canavan: Age of the five:Priestess of the white

aw, i think i was greedy, i only have three weeks to read them :-)
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shallot

Lady of Shallot

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 8:08 am

Have fun reading them!!

I just started re-reading Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder. It provides an overview of the Western philosophy starting with Ancient Greece and it's got a mystery/action story to keep it exciting. It's basically addressed to a younger audience (ambitious introductory course for teens), but it's a good and fresh read for anyone.
And Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar. It's basically a flow of consciousness and it's got an interesting structure. You can read this book in two different ways and I guess it has multiple endings as well. The main character recalls details of his relationship with a passionate and paradoxical woman, while wandering around in Paris.
Back to top Go down
vision

vision

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 9:55 am

have fun too, i started in Ordinary Thunderstorms, couldn't sleep, read 135 pages, nice
Back to top Go down
tapsi

tapsi

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Cortázar's great, but insane to the boot Very Happy

I'm working on Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card, it's a great science fiction book (I really honestly-honestly-honestly like it), but aaargh I'm just so tired of translating, I think I overdosed on words
Back to top Go down
http://tapsiful.deviantart.com
vision

vision

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 11:29 am

Orson Scott Card, years ago i've read The tales of Alvin Maker and Ender's Game, nice books and i think i've read Speaker for the Dead too, succes Tapsi
Back to top Go down
wyldhoney

wyldhoney

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm currently halfway through "Drakenkoningin" ("Dragon Queen") by An Janssens - it's a fantasy novel by a Flemish author (which basically makes it a freak of literature), and it's not half bad, quite a few original ideas in there.
Back to top Go down
vision

vision

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Hé Alf, leuk dat je er ook bent :-). Thanks for the tip, didn't know her name, i shall search for her
Back to top Go down
Berkana

Berkana

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 2:33 am

Atm : " why don't children like school". So far: pretty good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idislikehashtags.fu.ck
Indii
Captain
Indii

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 9:46 pm

do you guys know of Google Books option? i only found out about it two weeks ago Smile it offers either amazon link, or the whole book. you can read it there from page to page!  cheers
Back to top Go down
http://anathema.superforum.pro
Lilac_Lina

Lilac_Lina

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 am

Borislav Pekic - Rabies
It's a good book but I just can't finish it. I've probably read 2 or 3 more while reading this one.

Borislav Pekic - The Defense and the Last Days
I can't imagine this book translated. It has specific humor.

I think I will read writers from former Yugoslavia for some time.
Back to top Go down
neuronix

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Reading "No One Here Gets Out Alive" at the moment. Biography about Jim Morrison. What a strange, irritating and interesting man Smile
Back to top Go down
rec

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 am

I haven't read anything for ages but last night I started reading "Letters to a Young Mathematician" by Ian Stewart. Seems promising.
Back to top Go down
tapsi

tapsi

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 10:14 am

i think i translated one of his books, "Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics", it was just a most amazing book, he explained all these very complex mathematical ideas so smoothly and with so much interesting detail, very engaging and very informative for non-mathematicians like me Smile

obviously, it was also one of the hardest commissions i've ever had, looking up all the expressions and just wrapping my head around certain concepts Very Happy but one of those books i'm absolutely proud of
Back to top Go down
http://tapsiful.deviantart.com
woolf

woolf

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi guys,

Is anyone interested in reading hypertext and hypermedia novels? Something like:

10:01
Back to top Go down
rec

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 3:13 pm

tapsi wrote:
i think i translated one of his books, "Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics", it was just a most amazing book, he explained all these very complex mathematical ideas so smoothly and with so much interesting detail, very engaging and very informative for non-mathematicians like me Smile

obviously, it was also one of the hardest commissions i've ever had, looking up all the expressions and just wrapping my head around certain concepts :Dbut one of those books i'm absolutely proud of

Wow, that is actually very cool! Smile I hadn't even heard about that book, now I'll probably have to read it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reading a new book Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading a new book   Reading a new book Empty

Back to top Go down

Reading a new book
Page 1 of 1