ANATHEMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Why I love Anathema

Go down 
+4
Rafke Pafke
claumirela
steveharrison
Indii
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Indii
Captain
Indii

Why I love Anathema Empty
PostSubject: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 3:07 am

yes?  Very Happy share your thoughts on this, please.

Back to top Go down
http://anathema.superforum.pro
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 3:12 am

music first of all, of course Smile family motives. brought me best friends online  cheers
Back to top Go down
steveharrison

steveharrison

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Music then lyrics, not looks at all .Im a bloke so I dont go in for looks regarding band members although Lee can look quite stunning at times. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
claumirela

claumirela

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Because their music gives shapes to unshaped into me! and because of this group, and friends-real friends I met around their gigs! and because their music witnessed my beautiful moments in family and the begining of my way beside Vio!!
Back to top Go down
Rafke Pafke

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Hard to explain really. There's something about their music that just grabs and moves me, in a way no other band does. It's definitely got something to do with the melodies they come up with. Another huge part of it is the way Danny plays his guitar. It just speaks to me.

The combination of Danny's melodies, guitar playing and Vinnies voice are the core of Anathema to me, and always have been (since Vin started singing that is).

It's strange, because I don't really listen to other bands that usually are considered to be in the same "genre": Katatonia, Tiamat, Riverside,... I actually don't like 'em. Some Porcupine Tree and Sigur Ros now and again but that's about it.  

I first heard the Serenades album. I kinda liked it because of, again, the guitar sound and melodies. But then shortly after that "Eternity" was released and I remember listening to it through headphones in a record store and it really felt like that music was the thing I was looking for. I became a fan right then and there.

And I have been ever since. I love the fact that they never make the same album twice but always manage to keep the identity of the band in there.
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Rafke Pafke wrote:

I remember listening to it through headphones in a record store and it really felt like that music was the thing I was looking for. I became a fan right then and there.

good words there. felt exactly the same Smile
Back to top Go down
vision

vision

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 9:18 pm

I remember my son Paul taking 'A natural disaster' over and over again from the library, so i got curious and started listening. And then like Rafke Pafke said, there's something in their music, in Danny's guitar playing, Vinny's singing that moves your emotions. So we started listening to  'Alternative 4' and 'Judgement' and were like 'wow, this is gooood'.
First time after Bruce Springsteen that i got so interested in a band that i searched the internet to find information about them. I even posted some comments on Anathemaniacs and their guestbook, never done that before.
And then Paul saw that they would play at a liberation festival in Wageningen. Never been to Wageningen but for Anathema we drove all the way to Wageningen. And there standing first row ( besides David but we didn't knew each other then) this band blew me of my feet.
I found Soulreaper forum and joined because...well i am not sure why i wanted to join a forum and talk about this band, i've never felt that before though i really loved Led Zeppellin or Yes and Pink Floyd a lot when i was young, but the drive was there to join a community.
Never could have imagined that this community would be so international and so nice, not only interested in Anathema but also in each other.
It was and still is fun to talk about their music, what a song/s can do to your mood, and to go to concerts, in your own country but also abroad.
Of course it's great that Dan was a member of Sr and that we could share opinions with him like with any other SR member. But you don't need to be a member of a forum to get in touch with a member of the band, they all are very open and nice to the audience.
What we have on SR forum and hopefully also on this forum is that Anathema unite.
We have friends all over the world to meet at their concerts and that's really great. Even if we have different opinions about their CD's, about their early work, or they direction they are going now, it still is Anathema style and you can hear it through all their songs. And their live concerts always will be a gathering of people happy to join their concerts and meet like-minded friends.
Anathema is special and family :-)
Back to top Go down
bastet

bastet

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 10:45 pm

nice words. and carla, memorable gig it was, at wageningen. several friends to be were there. marcel i think, david, and you. maren, dries and i, and karin, who i'd already met before. i remember every minute of that day, and night. we got home at 5.30am. exhausted... Smile

i saw them the first time in 1997, i think. had to drive my daughter and her friends to the gig, and as they'd assured me it was a bit in the vain of paradise lost (my favourite band at that moment), i decided to joint them. a couple of years -and several concerts- later, i was totally in love with the band. and then we got this dial up internet connection, and there was this forum at ultimatemetal, and i got to know some other anathema fans...

so i wasn't really struck by their music from the first minute, but every time i saw them play, the love grew... Wink and i can't give a reason.

like indii says: first the music, and then all these friends i got through it. <3

Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyTue May 20, 2014 11:16 pm

great answers, all  Why I love Anathema 2898314716 
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyMon May 26, 2014 11:08 am

and then, there is this

Why I love Anathema Love_a10

Back to top Go down
vision

vision

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyMon May 26, 2014 10:13 pm

Highlight forever :-)
Back to top Go down
bastet

bastet

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyMon May 26, 2014 10:19 pm

yep. great memories...
Back to top Go down
Serena

Serena

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm surprised more people haven't shared their stories!

For me, I started listening to Anathema back in 2007 thereabout with the album Judgement. It was a recommendation from a friend of mine. I enjoyed it and listened to it every so often but I had a lot going on in my life around that time and eventually kind of forgot about checking them out beyond Judgement. That is until I had slept late one morning, meanwhile my flatmate was BLASTING Thin Air on her 5.1 system. I listened to it and fell in love! I got out of bed and decided to investigate what I was hearing, as I didn't realise it was Anathema. She told me and I was just kind of like, "Holy shit what did I miss?!".

From there, I went back and explored their catalog and discovered how much meaning they'd have to me. Their music is something special. I went to check out their tour dates to see if I might get to see them in concert only to find out that they rarely ever come over. I had plans to go to New York to see Blackfield in 2011 and then Anathema were announced as the support band so I freaked and arranged more shows. It was cut down to just Vincent and Danny acoustic, unfortunately, rather last minute (as well as the tour itself eventually being ended abruptly) but it was a real pleasure to be able to see them play their songs like that. I was wondering how it might work honestly and I was impressed.

I also got to meet them a couple of times and they were very friendly and personable. Very down to Earth, lovely guys! I told them how excited I was to be able to see them in the US and they expressed interest in coming back in the future! I saw them (as support) again earlier this year across the span of several shows again, including their only US headline gig right in my town! They met with the many, many fans after the show in a last minute post-gig meet and greet in the venue and they were a lot of fun to hang out with. They really know how to make you feel comfortable and not so nervous around them which is really difficult for me when I meet musicians.

I went through some more stuff last year and I have this awful habit of dropping things I like (art, music) when I'm depressed, but I made the conscious effort to watch my concert DVDs and put on my headphones and listen to their music and it helped me so, so much. Like nothing else has.  

I discovered Soul Reaper just before it was gone, so I didn't get to participate much honestly so my online interaction with like minded fans has been pretty limited. A lot of friends I made through liking other bands (like Porcupine Tree for example) like Anathema as well but I never really found a community so dedicated to them before that!

And this past Fall, I flew over to the UK to watch them play across England. I'd wanted to go to England all my life practically and I thought that was a good a time and reason as any! They recognised me pretty much straight away from the HIM tour and enjoyed my attendance! It was wonderful to see such a beautiful country and attend their shows. I made some friends while I was over there that I might see again some day as well as pre-existing online friends that I got to meet in person finally. Why I love Anathema 452527845

I guess the short answer to a long story is that I love Anathema for being so honest and beautiful. Their music means a lot to me and has helped in more ways than I can really say.

Why I love Anathema Bristol2_zps40d979ab
Bristol, UK meet and greet
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 8:23 pm

hey! I know you from when I google Anathema photos for whatever reason and I see you and Danny on pics. its cool! and also you got tumblr page Smile hi again!

thanks for your Why I love Anathema story, Serena! Why I love Anathema 2331975019
Back to top Go down
Stratocumulus

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi everyone!
"Why I love Anathema" is going to be a really long story!
First of all, I'm glad their name begins with an "A". I can already imagine your puzzled faces so here's the explanation.
A number of years ago, the supermarket I usually do my shopping in had the idea to add free music downloads at Sony music for every bill above a certain amount. I ended up with some 450 free single downloads...but visiting the site to get my music, I was dismayed. It was mostly the sort of shit music one hears on the radio. (I know how it comes about which music is played when and how often on radio stations. The big industry -and Sony is one of the worst - it's all just one huge Mafia.)
So I scrolled through every single musician/band listed on their site, and tried to find out just from their names whether it might be interesting or not. There was a time constraint, the free downloads were only available for a few weeks. Can you visualize me sitting in front of my computer for nights on end trying to "cash" in my 450 free downloads? It WAS hilarious, and I felt a lot like Sisyphus.
And then, I still remember the moment, I clicked on "Anathema" because I thought the name sounded like there might be something interesting, and I was like struck by lightning. The only stuff there was from the band was called Anathema Original Album Classics (Judgment-AFDTE-A Natural Disaster) and I downloaded all the songs. I remember thinking what intelligent and well sung music it is. At that time I knew absolutely nothing about the band. I went to work with some of those melodies in my head and got through meetings and conferences with one part of my brain replaying them in endless delightful loops.
At that time, my mother's health was failing slowly but surely, I knew the end would be soon. I was in a melancholy mood, and having got struck by the Judgment-AFDTE-Natural Disaster-Trilogy, I wanted to explore their former stuff. Everything I discovered was so beautiful, melancholic and sad, just as I felt myself at that time.
One day, after visiting my mum, I drove home in the knowledge that her time had come, and Anathema's music helped me a lot when she died.
I continued to explore, not just their music, but also things about the band. The more I learned, the more I thought what an interesting band they are! I still have the 450 downloads somewhere on my computer, yet of that list, I only listen to the Anathema tracks. Once, when I was hospitalized, I was prevented from going mad only because of their music. The problem was my elderly room mate whose snoring was fit to wake the dead, so I put on my headphones and listened to Serenades, Pentecost III and Judgment on endless repeat during two nights.
I have come to love the band more and more, especially after having had the pleasure to meet them after concerts and exchange a few words. They are the complete opposite of so called stars/divas. They actually really listen to what you tell them and ask questions in return. In fact, I have found myself like being interviewed by Danny who is obviously truly interested in the band's fans. He has a very high intelligence which is immediately noticeable when you talk with him.
So that's it! Actually I could go on and on, but this was long enough, right? Smile
Back to top Go down
Serena

Serena

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 am

Indii wrote:
hey! I know you from when I google Anathema photos for whatever reason and I see you and Danny on pics. its cool! and also you got tumblr page Smile hi again!

thanks for your Why I love Anathema story, Serena! Why I love Anathema 2331975019
Haha, hi! That's me! I went on a google search once for a project and saw a pic I got with Danny a few years ago in the results once, I thought that was pretty cool and had a laugh about it!

Thanks for hosting the forum, of course! Why I love Anathema 2331975019
Back to top Go down
Serena

Serena

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 5:24 am

Stratocumulus wrote:
I have come to love the band more and more, especially after having had the pleasure to meet them after concerts and exchange a few words. They are the complete opposite of so called stars/divas. They actually really listen to what you tell them and ask questions in return. In fact, I have found myself like being interviewed by Danny who is obviously truly interested in the band's fans. He has a very high intelligence which is immediately noticeable when you talk with him.
I couldn't agree more! I did meet and greet with them the last time I saw them this past tour and Vincent and I just talked for a lot of it honestly! They're very chatty and interested in what you have to say. Why I love Anathema 452527845

Thanks for sharing your story.
Back to top Go down
bastet

bastet

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 7:46 pm

hey, thank you both for your stories. both very personal. loved reading it all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 8:36 pm

I agree with Bastet. thanks guys Why I love Anathema 1981566983
Back to top Go down
bastet

bastet

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 1:05 pm

and then there was this too: after the gig, tilburg, 17-10-14

Why I love Anathema Img_4310
Back to top Go down
vision

vision

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 pm

What a nice stories,

Serena, i think i remember you from Soulreaper Forum and that you went to the Uk to go to their gigs, you were one of the few people from the USA :-)

Stratocumulus, i had to smile reading your story about the free downloads :-) And yes, we all recognize the true emotions in Anathema's music, because it's what we all go through in life and in a way they express better than we could do it ourselves how we feel. I never had that their music would pull me down, but instead i felt like sharing hard times or joy with someone else and then i felt supported and relieved.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I love Anathema   Why I love Anathema Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I love Anathema
Page 1 of 1