ANATHEMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Debate & Discussion

Go down 
+6
tapsi
bastet
neuronix
Reyna
wyldhoney
Indii
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Indii
Captain
Indii

Debate & Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 11:59 am

Post your opinions about a band, tour dates, new and old members, missing online updates. Let's discuss and vent.
Back to top Go down
http://anathema.superforum.pro
wyldhoney

wyldhoney

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 9:14 pm

So, what's the role of John Douglas nowadays? From what I gathered he wasn't gonna tour anymore, but still contribute to the band... so there's likely to be a song or two, three from his hand on the next album?
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 12:01 pm

hope at least one John`s song makes it to the new album! it would be total miss not to do that.
Back to top Go down
Reyna

Reyna

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 9:18 pm

John will be missed. I love John's work.
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Cardoso kicks ass on drums. from youtube videos i came to that conclusion. but John is John  Debate & Discussion 155328147
Back to top Go down
neuronix

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 am

My only post in this thread is this one to say I won't go into it because any discussion about who's in and who's out and why just pisses me off and I'm got more constructive things to do with my life :p
Back to top Go down
Reyna

Reyna

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Your discussion about these issues used to piss some others off if i remeber right Wink
Back to top Go down
neuronix

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Haha true. I'm very bad at hiding my frustration. And frankly after about 35 gigs without Les it was complete BS that they didn't say ANYTHING. At least now they haven't done any complete tours without John/Jamie, so they can (IMO) get away with (IMO) vague "explanations" (Jamie being simply mentioned as touring member in a booklet and missing from official pics and John being explained in a random interview as being still on board as a songwriter).

From a band I expect clearer communication, especially in this day and age. Every award and won poll is mentioned on the official facebook page, yet something as essential as a line-up change is being kept quiet for...what reason actually? Don't these people deserve a warm send-off by the fans and a big thank you for their contribution, especially in the long dark years between AND and WAHBWAH? For helping keep the band alive.

See? I get all pissed off again. Can someone ban me from posting in this thread? Wink
Back to top Go down
Reyna

Reyna

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 10:32 pm

No way, never!! These forums would be lot more boring without your bursts Very Happy And what makes them so lovable is because we all know how much you love the music and the band and you still say things so honest and straight. Go marcel!
Back to top Go down
bastet

bastet

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm

indeed. both of you.
i'm sure there are more people who share this view, marcel.
i'm always happy when someone can say exactly what i feel, cause i'm sometimes (most of the time) unable to put these things in proper words.
Back to top Go down
tapsi

tapsi

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 pm

i actually agree with Marcel and i remember i was really agitated about the whole "it's not like we owe Les as much as a proper goodbye after years and years of hard work" thing

but then it was handled all so shoddily that i think it was the last straw for me, and honestly, i no longer care about who's in and who's out. in the 17 years (JESUS CHRIST NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! just where did all that time go?) i've been following this band, there have been so many members and shady changes and behind the curtains dramas that i'm just tired of it. i mean, i'm just a... uh... i'm not even a fan anymore, i'm just someone who loves most people in and around the band (those that i know, that is), but you know, in a way you love the cast of your favourite soap opera. personal, but very detached.

to be honest, the only reason i hang around here and other places is your company Smile
Back to top Go down
http://tapsiful.deviantart.com
Reyna

Reyna

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 2:01 pm

Yeah we share this feeling about Les vanishing. And i care about the music still even tho its more and more going the way agnes described for me too. Its more about you guys nowadays than them guys Smile the thing i care a lot about who is in and who is out because john makes the most interesting songs atm and it would be a huge loss if he would not contribute in the future.
Back to top Go down
neuronix

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm the same in being detached from the music and more connected through the people, Agnes. Was just looking at my gig list and noticed 2013 was the first year since 2005 I haven't seen them live a single time.

Last one was in Berlin in November 2012.

Only 4 times since Les' departure. And it's odd, because musically Les didn't add that much and on stage he wasn't that much of a personality. But yeah, it's the whole shoving someone aside who did a lot for the band during the dark years. Les did a lot of administration, Les' mates acted as roadcrew (no doubt for little money because there was none) and from one day to the next it went from a band that was like a family to a band with a "professional" crew.

In some ways I understand what happened, but at the same time I think it could have been handled more graciously and that's been a feeling I've had for a few years now.

And did it bring huge successes? Not really. Looking at Last FM stats over the past 6 months, Weather Systems and We're Here... rank 2nd and 5th in number of plays. If they'd get 3 or 4 times the number of plays of the previous albums you could say there's a definite gain from travelling this new "professional" path, but they're not.

I also fear about John's contributions, Heidi. There's only very few who can continue to really contribute while not playing in the band any more. Demonaz from Immortal is a known exception, but his departure was self chosen due to injury.
Back to top Go down
claumirela

claumirela

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 11:41 am

I understand your anger and detaching attitude, I saw it on my husband who put Anathema on his top 5 in any moment of his life( and he is the one who introduced me into Anathema music). I am sure the band is still there, but there is a bitter taste about the changes you talked.As much time as I listen their music, just music, without thinking about band life, is ok.( a shinny ok). But where are those days when I was waking up and was going to sleep with their music? That is why I respect them a lot and I shall go to their gigs every time I ll have the occasion. I am not sure about my less listening reasons- the new music?, the changes into the band?-but i do know they will be special into my life forever.
Back to top Go down
bastet

bastet

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 4:48 pm

yes, claudia, same goes for me. their influence on my life has been immense fro over 10 years.
Back to top Go down
Rafke Pafke

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 9:01 am

Hi all, nice to see there's an Anathema forum once again. Thank you very much Dragana for putting this up.

About the changes in the band. It seems I have another perspective than most of you. To me, Danny has always been the center of the band. Even way back in the early days with Duncan in the band, it have always been Danny's melodies that drew me towards this band. So, as long as he's in the band, I'm good I guess Smile

About recent and not so recent line-up changes. I do consider that to be a private matter of the band. But the communication about it was indeed pretty lousy. But in my eyes, that's more of a PR management issue than anything else.

I do hope John will still write songs for the band though. Even though he hasn't written that many songs, it has always been great stuff. But Daniel Cardoso is a way better drummer. There's just no denying that. The first time I heard Untouchable part 1, one off the first things I actually thought was "Damn, John has become much better", only later to find out it was Daniel.

The one thing that does bother me a bit, is the lyrical direction things have taken since WHBWH. And that's obviously mostly Danny's work. I just have a totally different view on things than Danny. That makes it harder to identify with some of the songs. So I am secretly hoping that on the next album the lyrics will go in another direction.
Back to top Go down
Rafke Pafke

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 am

I do remember something that Danny said in an interview. I think it must have been last year somewhere. He was telling about how he went to see this band that had two drummers live. And then he said that it might be something to consider for future Anathema gigs. So, with John as an extra percussionist. Don't know if this is really going to happen though.
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 am

hi rafke pafke! welcome Smile  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 11:13 am

all in all, we want new songs! we want new songs!  Debate & Discussion 614878053 
Back to top Go down
wyldhoney

wyldhoney

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Rafke Pafke wrote:
About recent and not so recent line-up changes. I do consider that to be a private matter of the band.

My sentiments exactly. :)The internet makes it easier for artists to communicate, but I don't think that means they HAVE to share every sniffle and sneeze if they don't want to. I'd be something if George R.R. Martin had to host a press conference to justify his motives every time he kills off a protagonist. WinkWink
Back to top Go down
tapsi

tapsi

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 3:14 pm

uh, i think replacing members who were with the band for 10+ / 20 years is not "sniffle and sneeze" ... Sad well yeah, it is the band's business, everything they do is their business, and not that of the fans

but the fans have the right to say "well that was a shit move"

and unlike GRRM's protagonists, former band members are actual people Wink
Back to top Go down
http://tapsiful.deviantart.com
Reyna

Reyna

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Hear hear!
Back to top Go down
Morpheus

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 pm

speaking of new songs Smile I am really curious in what direction the band is going forward with the new songs. Especially, because WHBWH and Weather Systems had mostly songs that were written at the same time and a couple of years ago if i am not mistaken. So this could really be the first time in, well a decade or so, that we get to hear contemporary (in a sense that they weren't written that long ago. Without me really knowing it of course Smile) song material. Should be exciting! Smile
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 1:02 am

yes! i cant wait, too Smile
Back to top Go down
Indii
Captain
Indii

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Debate & Discussion Bhe19210

hello Huston! we have John on stage! i repeat, we have John on stage!  Very Happy  Debate & Discussion 3768315747 

rafke pafke said well about two drum sets Smile

photo source

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate & Discussion   Debate & Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Debate & Discussion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANATHEMA  :: Center Stage - about Anathema :: News & Rumors-